DLR UPdate 16
- Haunted Mansion <attraction/New Orleans Square> closed through Jan 18th to remove the holiday overlay.
- Splash Mountain <attraction/Critter Country> closed for refurbishment. Reopening date TBA.
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant <attraction/Fantasyland> closed for refurbishment. Reopening date TBA.
- Main Street Vehicles <attraction/Main Street U.S.A.> closed for refurbishment. Reopening date TBA,
- "it's a small world" <attraction/Fantasyland> closes Jan 22nd to Feb 1st to remove the holiday overlay.
- Casey Jr. Circus Train <attraction/Fantasyland> closes Feb 5th for refurbishment. Reopening date TBA.
- Storybook Land Canal Boats <attraction/Fantasyland> closes Feb 5th–15th for refurbishment.
Disney's California Adventure
- The Golden Zephyr <attraction/Paradise Garden> closed Jan 22nd–25th for refurbishment.
- The Bakery Tour <attraction/Pacific Wharf> closed through Feb 2nd for refurbishment.
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail attraction/Grizzly Peak> closed for refurbishment. Reopening date TDA.
- Grizzly River Run <attraction/Grizzly Peak> closed through Feb 1st for refurbishment.
- Cove Bar – closed as part of the Pixar Pier retheme. The location will temporarily reopen in April during Spring Break.
The following attractions are closed as part of the Pixar Pier retheme. No reopening date is available at this time, and most of the locations will have new names when they return:
- Games of the Boardwalk
- California Screamin'
- Mickey's Fun Wheel
- Boardwalk Bazaar
- Sideshow Shirts
- Treasures in Paradise
- Point Magu Tattoo
- Don Tomas Turkey Legs
- Hot Dog Hut
- Ariel's Grotto
- Cove Bar
- Paradise Pier Ice Cream Company
Crowd Impacting Events
The 2018 NAMM (National Association of Music Merchants) show will be held at the Anaheim Convention Center next Thursday, January 25 through Sunday, January 27. This is the largest convention hosted in the Disneyland Resort area. Expect convention-related crowds next weekend as a result.
- Disneyland After Dark after-hours event – Jan 18th. Tickets are now on sale.
- Lunar New Year Festival at Disney's California Adventure – Jan 26th through Feb 18th.
- Disney's California Adventure Food & Wine Festival – Mar 2nd through Apr 12th.
- Pixar Fest begins – Apr 13th. Debut of the new "Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular" fireworks show, as well as the first performances of the Paint the Night Parade in Disney's California Adventure, and Pixar Play Parade in Disneyland.
- Dapper Day Spring Soiree – Apr 22nd. More information at the event website.
- 2018 Grad Nites: May 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th and 30th; Jun 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th.
- Moonlight Magic after-hours event for Disney Vacation Club members – Nov 15th. Reservations open Oct 4th.
AP Bucket Returns!
A new refillable popcorn bucket is available for Disneyland Resort annual passholders. The bucket is $15.00, and refills are $1.00 through March 1, 2018. As with past such offers, a valid AP and photo ID are required to purchase the bucket or a refill.
Parking Policy for Oversized Vehicles
Disney had officially filed building permits for the "Cleo parking structure," a new six-story, 2,409,554 square-foot parking structure to be built adjacent to the Mickey and Friends parking structure on what is now the Pinocchio lot. As a result of this new construction project, starting February 1st, drivers of recreational and oversized vehicles can park only in the Toy Story parking lot.
The Disneyland website already displays the new parking policy, and specifically lists the following vehicles:
Recreational and Oversized Vehicles
- Dually trucks
- Motor homes
- Passenger vehicles with a trailer
- Recreational vehicles (RV)
- RV campers
The website further states that these vehicles are also prohibited in all other Disneyland Resort parking lots, to include Downtown Disney and hotel parking lots.
Food & Wine Festival Events
Registration for the 2018 Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival signature events is now open via the Disneyland website. Disney has placed most of the event information behind a registration wall, so you'll need to first create a profile on the website to be able to view the schedule.
Here are my suggestions;
Taste of the Festival preview night on Mar 1st. Attendees will sample food and beverages from the festival marketplace booths, and enjoy live entertainment. Tickets are $125.00 per person, or $150.00 (plus tax & gratuity) if you want to upgrade to the VIP package for an expanded menu of appetizers and beverages. Theme park admission is not required for this event.
Celebrity Chef LIVE! at the Hyperion is a replacement for the "In the Kitchen With" series, and puts chefs Robert Irvine and Guy Fieri on their biggest Disney stage. The events are $99.00 per person (plus tax and gratuity), or you can book a VIP Experience for $250.00 and watch the demonstration from a seating area right on stage. This event includes samples of the featured dish after the demonstration. Theme park admission is not required for this event.
Sweet Sundays 2018 events move to the Napa Rose, and includes five hours of valet parking at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa. Tickets are $99.00 per person (plus tax and gratuity). The three chefs are a repeat from the 2017 offering, and as of press time the Sweet Sunday with Duff Goldman has sold out.
Winemaker and Brewmaster dinners are held at restaurants of the Disneyland Resort hotels, so again, theme park admission is not required. The one exception is a Winemaker Dinner with David Arthur Vineyards, which is held at the Carthay Circle Restaurant inside Disney California Adventure Park, and is limited to 24 guests. These dinners are $150.00 to $300.00 per person (plus tax and gratuity) depending on the presenting winemaker or brewmaster.
Culinary Demonstrations will be presented on a new stage in the Paradise Gardens area each Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of the festival. There are two options if you want to catch one of these presentations: walk up and wait in line, or book a $30.00 (plus tax) VIP package. The (free) general admission area is standing-room only, and does not include a sample of the featured dish. VIPs receive reserved seating for the demonstration, a meet-and-greet with the chef, and a sample of the finished dish.
Wine, Beer and Spirits seminars return to the Sonoma Terrace, and are $20.00 (plus tax) per person. There is at least one seminar scheduled each day of the Festival, with as many as four scheduled on weekend days.
Book any of these events through the Festival website. Immediate payment is required, and no refunds are available.
There are also free daily seminars and demonstrations scheduled each Thursday through Sunday of the Festival. These demonstrations will be hosted at the Backlot Stage in Hollywood Land, and the schedule posted each week. For younger cooks, the Junior Chef program will also be offered each day in Hollywood Land. This program is for kids ages 3 to 11, and no registration is required.
- Add yours