DLR UPdate 13
- Splash Mountain <attraction/Critter Country> closes Jan 2nd for refurbishment. Reopening Jan 29th.
- Haunted Mansion <attraction/New Orleans Square> closed Jan 8th to 18th to remove holiday overlay.
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant <attraction/Fantasyland> closes Jan 8th for refurbishment. Reopening TBA.
- Main Street Vehicles <attractions> closes Jan 8th for refurbishment. Reopening Jan 29th.
- "it's a small world" <attraction/Fantasyland> closes Jan 22nd to remove holiday overlay. Reopening TBA.
Disney California Adventure
- Goofy's Sky School <attraction/Paradise Pier> closed through Dec 20th.
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail <recreation area/Golden State> closes Jan 2nd for refurbishment. Reopening TBA.
- A Bug's Life Theater <a bugs land> closes Jan 8th, for a one-day refurbishment following the Coco preview. It's Tough to be a Bug! reopens on Janu 9th.
- Grizzly River Run <attraction/Golden State> closes Jan 8th for refurbishment. Reopening TBA.
- Cove Bar <eatery/Paradise Pier> closes Jan 8th as part of the Pixar Pier retheme. Temporarily reopen during Spring Break.
The following attractions close January 8, 2018 as part of the Pixar Pier retheme. No reopening date is available at this time, and most of the locations will have new names when they return:
- Games of the Boardwalk
- California Screamin'
- Mickey's Fun Wheel
- Boardwalk Bazaar
- Sideshow Shirts
- Treasures in Paradise
- Point Magu Tattoo
- Don Tomas Turkey Legs
- Hot Dog Hut
- Ariel's Grotto
- Cove Bar
- Paradise Pier Ice Cream Company
- Build-a-Bear – Scheduled to close Jan 7th.
- Ridemakerz –Scheduled to close Jan 7th.
- Vault 28 – closed.
- Fossil – closed
Crowd Impacting Events
- Holidays at the Disneyland Resort – through Jan 7th, 2018.
- Candy Cane release dates:
- Disneyland Candy Palace – December 20, 24
- Disney California Adventure Trolley Treats – December 21, 25
- Lunar New Year Festival at Disney California Adventure – Jan 26th to Feb 18th.
- Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival – Mar 2nd to Apr 12th.
- Pixar Fest begins – Apr 13th. Debut of the new "Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular" fireworks show.
- Dapper Day Spring Soiree – Apr 22nd.
- 2018 Grad Nites: May 4th, 5th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th and 30th; Jun 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, 8th and 9th.
The Happiest NEWS on Earth!
Downtown Disney UPdate
That the Build-a-Bear and Ridemakerz stores in Downtown Disney are scheduled to close January 7th. Disney announced one of the tenants will be New York-based Black Tap Craft Burgers & Beer.The new Splitsville bowling/sushi location has missed its "Fall 2017" target opening, but is now hiring in anticipation of a January 2018 debut.The new year also brings the opening of Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire virtual reality experience, which is scheduled to open January 5th.
The Last Jedi at Disneyland
Changes were made to Path of the Jedi and to Launch Bay this past week to add props and new video promoting the new Star Wars film. If you haven't been to either of these attractions recently, both are worth a visit. The latest Star Wars film has increased popularity of related attractions in the park. The Star Trader has been packed with guests all looking for Star Wars merchandise for Christmas.
While I am huge fans of Path of the Jedi. The film itself is well done and a sort of Star Wars 101 for the uninitiated, and it holds up well to repeat viewings. But. instead of adding to the existing film it has been updated with a new intro featuring the Director of The Last Jedi with an engaging trailer for the new film at the end.
But the big updates to Tomorrowland are in Launch Bay. The display cases are filled with The Last Jedi props. Star Wars Lego sets are now being sold in the gaming area. And new merchandise has hit the store. Plus a bit of the D23 Expo has made its way to Launch Bay, you can now view part of the Star Wars Land model. The theater is showing a great new film. It explains Star Wars saga, how Lucas Film works on all aspects of the universe (films, animation, games, merchandise, VR, parks). You see key players behind the scenes and hear their motivations.
January 7th is our last chance to take a ride on California Screamin'. Beginning January 8th, major construction will begin on the South side of Paradise Bay. Everything from Ariel's Grotto to the old Maliboomer will be rethemed to Pixar Pier.
Farewell to princess dining at DCA. Once the re-theme of Ariel's Grotto is complete, there will be no more princesses dining at the resort until the new Disney Plaza Hotel opens in a couple of years. But the really popular spot in this facility is the Cove Bar. The bar has been so popular that they recently expanded the patio. But that did little to lessen the lines of guests waiting for a table. There will be minimal changes to this bar during the retheme.
California Screamin' will go down on January 8th to receive an Incredibles make over. The loading platform will gain a new mid-century look, the scream tubes will be enclosed with Mrs Incredible inside, and a show scene starring Edna Mode and baby Jack Jack will be added to the beginning of the attraction.
Also being added to the Pier will be a theater and a Bing Bong Confectionary.
- Add yours